Are you making the most of our legal referral service?
Whilst there's no such thing as a stupid question, there are ways to ensure that you are ASKING the right ones when it comes to making the most of your five legal vouchers... Just one of the many perks of your AHC membership!
Not sure what we're talking about? As you may or may not be aware, you are entitled to five vouchers that provide access to our legal providers which are complementary as part of your membership with AHC. These five vouchers entitle you to ½ an hour of legal advice from one of our panel lawyers.
As our panel lawyers are experts in workplace relations, employment and safety law, it is often the case that a lot can be achieved in the ½ hour that is available to you. The feedback we have been provided by members is that they are very happy with the services that have been provided and that they want the service to continue.
Therefore, we thought it might be helpful to provide you with a check list of information that you should have at your fingertips when you make contact with one of our panel lawyers to best utilise the service. This will ensure that you maximise the benefit of our referral service and obtain answers to your questions more quickly.
Generally speaking the kinds of questions that our panel lawyers are faced with tend to relate to issues relating to wages, personal leave, contracts, termination and performance management. Often times, our lawyers will need to see certain documentation that you have and know the answers to particular questions before they can give you the answer to your question.
We have set out below a list of the types of questions and documents that our lawyers will ask you for:
- When did the employee start working for you?
- Are they under a Training Contract?
- Can you email me a copy of the contract of employment and or the Training Contract?
- Have you had any meetings with the employee and if so when and who was present?
- Did the employee have a support person with them at any meetings?
- Did you give the employee an opportunity to understand your concerns and explain his or her conduct?
- Has the employee been given an opportunity to improve his or her performance?
- Have you issued the employee with any correspondence in writing, if so can you email me the documents?
- Where was the meeting left? What actions were agreed and where they documented?
- What outcome are you looking to achieve?
- Are you paying the employee in accordance with the Award or a higher rate?
- Can you send me a copy of the three most recent pay slips?
- Does the employee have a written contract that sets out how they will be paid? If so I would like you to email it to me.
- What is their classification under the Award. If you do not know, please provide me with a description of the duties and an indication of how long he or she has worked for you and how much experience they have in the industry?
- What is the issue that you are concerned about and was this raised by you or by the employee?
- What outcome would you like to achieve.
Your 5 vouchers can be used to offset the cost of having one of our panel lawyers draft a contract of employment for you. Our lawyers need to know the following information before they can get started for you:
- How many employees do you have and at what engagement. I.e. are they full time, part time or casual.
- Do you pay your employees exactly what the Award says per hour or do you pay higher?
- Do you pay them a penalty for Saturday work or is that included in the hourly rate?
- What hours do they work each day and for the week?
- Do they get commission or bonuses? If so how do they work?
- Do they get super on top of their hourly rate?
- Do you pay any Allowances on top of their hourly rate or is it included in the rate?
- Do they get fixed days off each week or does the roster change from week to week?
- Do you have any apprentices on Training Contracts?
- Do you want to try to prevent your staff from stealing your clients and going elsewhere?
- What is the address of the salon?
- What is the name of their supervisor?
- Do they have to wear uniform and do you have any strict rules about what they wear and how they do their hair?
- Do you pay for training?
- Do you require them to attend events out of hours and if so do you pay them?
- Are you making sure they get 2 consecutive days off in accordance with the Award? If not, have you complied with the Award in relation to changes?
- Are you giving them anything extra on top of their wages and commission i.e. free products or services?
Obviously there is no one checklist that we can provide for every scenario. However if you know the answers to these general questions when you call our lawyers you will find that you will receive a faster and more economical service that if you have to go away and find that information before the answer can be provided.
We hope this information assist you to continue to use our referral service. If you have any questions about it or how it works, please let us know or take a look at our website for more information.